Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes


It's pumpkin season! I love pumpkin. I mean, not as an actual vegetable, but as an element to baked goods. I've already made a couple of batches of pumpkin bread: one for the parents of a new baby, and one that was intended as a gift but I didn't get it shipped in time, so we had to eat it (...darn.).

Saturday morning, I wanted something other than cereal for breakfast, so I thought I'd make pancakes. Then, I decided to try to improvise some pumpkin pancakes - and it worked! These are so yummy - not too spiced, and sweet enough that you don't need toppings (but not so sweet that putting syrup on will make your teeth ache). My 2-year-old likes them, and I love them! I made another batch this morning, mainly to have for dessert. They are a lovely little snack.

Pumpkin Pancakes
makes 15 3-inch pancakes, give or take a few (it's hard to count when you're eating them as you cook them)

1 cup Bob's Red Mill 10-Grain Pancake Mix (your favorite pancake mix will probably work here, as long as it requires you to add more than just water)
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
approx. 1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1 egg
approx. 3/4 cup milk (you can add more or less depending on your preference)
1/3 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp oil or melted butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1. Mix all the ingredients together, being careful not to overmix. A few lumps are okay!

2. Heat a heavy non-stick skillet over medium heat. Melt some butter in it or spray with cooking spray. Let the batter rest while the skillet heats up.

3. Drop the batter onto the hot skillet about 2-3 Tbsp at a time. This batter won't make the traditional holes, letting you know to turn it, so you'll have to play with it a little. But it puffs very nicely to make up for it.

4. Turn the pancakes over to let them finish cooking. Then eat them. Yum!


0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP